Producing medicinal marijuana oil on your own is extremely safe. The pure oil provides relief for men and women diagnosed with a variety of ailments, including epilepsy, cancer, chronic joint pain and post-traumatic stress. Where marijuana is legal, people who have a license and a prescription can benefit from this potent pain reliever by applying small amounts of the oil to the skin or consuming one to three drops a day.
Part 1 of 3: Preparing and equipping the workplace
Step 1. Choose a place to work
To make your own medicinal marijuana oil, you'll need to work safely in an open environment.
- The place must be well ventilated. Open all windows or turn on fans to promote air circulation.
- The place must also be equipped with a fire extinguisher, as the alcohol that is used as a solvent is very flammable, as is the oil itself.
- The workplace must also have gas or electricity for the electric stove if you intend to use one.
- If you want to use an electric rice cooker, you have to have power.
Step 2. Collect the materials
To make marijuana oil, you will need medical marijuana and a solvent.
- Buy 30 g of medical marijuana. If necessary, you can replace 60g to 90g of this marijuana with chopped herb.
- Buy 1 liter of high-alcohol alcohol to use as a solvent. It evaporates in the boiling process, leaving a very pure and powerful medicinal marijuana oil. Do not use an alcohol that is not intended for human consumption, such as isopropyl.
Step 3. Arrange the instruments
During the process, you will need several items. Among them are included:
- A medium-sized glass or a ceramic bowl. Do not use a plastic bowl.
- A large wooden spoon.
- A colander. You can use one of the following options: a bag made of muslin, a tea bag, clean socks, a cloth used to make cheese, a tea filter, or a coffee filter placed in a sieve.
- A container to collect the liquid, such as a measuring cup.
- A silicone spatula.
- A bain-marie set or a rice cooker and a heater.
- Plastic syringes for oral use.
Step 4. Be sure to wear protective clothing
The process of making your own medicinal marijuana oil can be dangerous. Be careful and have the following items to protect yourself:
- Mask with respirator.
- Non-latex gloves.
- Oven or lined gloves.
- Protective goggles.
Part 2 of 3: Extracting THC from Medical Marijuana with Solvent
Step 1. Soak the medical marijuana in a solvent
Place it in a medium-sized glass cup or ceramic bowl. Add high-content alcohol to marijuana. Continue to pour solvent until it exceeds the marijuana by about 2 cm.
Step 2. Stir the solution
Take the wooden spoon. Mix and mash the solvent together with the medicinal cannabis for two or three minutes. Constant movement will help the solvent absorb the substance in marijuana called THC.
Step 3. Sift the solution and transfer it to another container
Take the strainer and a second container. Put the chosen strainer on top of this container. Carefully pour the solution into it, filling it with the dark green liquid.
- If you are using a bag or cloth, squeeze the contents of the cloth to remove all liquid.
- This liquid is a mixture of alcohol and resin extracted from medical marijuana.
Step 4. Soak the Cannabis, mix and sift the solution again
The first wash removes about 70% to 80% of the resin from medical marijuana. The second will remove the remainder of the THC.
- Place the remaining contents in the strainer into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add alcohol to marijuana so that it is completely submerged.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir and grind the solution for two or three minutes.
- Place the strainer on top of the second container, the one that already contains the dark green liquid extracted previously.
- Slowly pour the contents of the bowl into the strainer. Allow all the liquid to drain into the container.
- It is not necessary to repeat the procedure a third time.
Part 3 of 3: Removing Solvent and Storing Medical Marijuana Oil
Step 1. Allow the solvent to evaporate in a water bath
When it comes time to make the alcohol evaporate, you have two options. The first is to use a special bain-marie set and a stove. This method is very safe.
- Fill the bottom of the set with water.
- Add the dark green liquid to the top of the pan. Add the liquid little by little as the level decreases if it doesn't fit all at once.
- Turn the heat on high and wait for the water on the bottom of the set to boil.
- As soon as the liquid at the top is bubbling (the alcohol starts to evaporate), turn off the heat immediately. The heat of the boiling water at the bottom of the pan is enough to make the alcohol evaporate.
- Let the liquid from the top of the pan bubble for 15 to 25 minutes. From time to time, scrape the bottom and sides of the pan with the silicone spatula. If the contents stop bubbling but are still very thin, turn the heat on low. As soon as the liquid starts to bubble again, turn off the fire.
- When the solution turns into a thick, dark green syrup, all the alcohol must have evaporated, which signals that only the medicinal marijuana oil remains. The process is complete.
- Remove the top of the bain-marie set and allow the oil to cool. As it cools, it continues to thicken.
Step 2. Evaporate the alcohol in a rice cooker
If you don't have a stove to use right now, you can replace it with an electric rice cooker.
- Fill ¾ of the pot with the alcohol and oil solution. You can continue to add the solution as the volume decreases with the boil if there is more.
- Set the pan to the "high" temperature or set it to the "white rice" position.
- Allow the oil and alcohol mixture to reduce.
- When the solution becomes a thick, dark green liquid, put on oven mitts, remove the pot from the rice plant and gently stir the liquid (when the amount of bubbles decreases a lot, it is time to remove the solution from the rice plant).
- Place the contents of the rice cooker in a glass or metal dish.
- Place the glass or metal dish on top of a tabletop warmer. Turn it on in the high position and let the remaining CO2 evaporate.
- When the contents are no longer bubbling, the plate can be removed from the top of the table warmer. The absence of bubbles means that all the alcohol has evaporated and the medicinal marijuana oil manufacturing process is complete.
Step 3. Fill syringes with oil
For ease of use, store it in a plastic syringe. Pull the plunger out slowly and fill the syringe with oil. Store the rest in an airtight glass container in case the syringes do not handle all the oil produced. Keep both the syringe and container in a cool, dark cabinet.
- The oil is intended solely for medicinal purposes.
- It is commonly used to relieve symptoms associated with anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, colitis, diabetes, epilepsy, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, nausea, Parkinson's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, schizophrenia, depression, liver inflammation, cancer, neurological and in the control of neurological pain.
- You can mix the oil with olive oil or coconut oil to make it less potent, use it for cooking, or apply it directly to your skin.
- To produce an effective medicinal oil, you need the female marijuana plant.
- Hemp seed oil is not the same as medical marijuana.
- Medicinal marijuana oil is also known as hemp oil, hash oil and cannabis oil.