Being a charming guy can make you impress those around you and be attractive to the women you meet. To be charming, you must practice looking, behaving, and speaking in a sophisticated and classy manner. Gradually these new acts will become a habit, and you will be able to call yourself a charming gentleman. Read on to learn more about these habits you should develop.
Part 1 of 3: Looking charming
Step 1. Dress to impress
A significant part of being charming is in appearance. As a general rule, wear your best clothes and you can do well in any occasion, and choose clothes that even fit your body.
If you don't know which clothes might be considered “awesome”, try asking for advice. You can ask a stylish man you know, but it would be even better to ask a woman. A woman will know exactly which styles are charming on a man from the feminine expectation.
If you don't have a woman in your life you can ask in person, check out online menswear resources written by women
Step 2. Wear the right clothes for the right occasion
If you want to look charming, you need to know when to look chic and when to look simpler. Dressing too formally may not be right for you.
- A suit won't be suitable for going to the grocery store, but it can add style to an evening at a fancy restaurant.
- On occasions when it would be better to wear a shirt over jeans, wear clean, unwrinkled clothing. Close-fitting clothes can be stylish even if you're not as formal as you are in a suit and tie.
Step 3. Find a style icon
If you're not sure how “charming” your style looks, check out the pros. Think of a gentleman you consider to be the perfect example of someone charming, and take notes on how he dresses.
- Picking a modern-era style icon can help you figure out which clothes are currently considered fashionable. If you can't think of anything, browse magazines or fashion blogs.
- You can also look back in time to get an idea of “stylish” looks. While men today may be in fashion, not all menswear can be considered “charming”. Many male icons from the 40s and 50s were considered very charming. As a bonus, you can look at these icons as examples of both the fashion charm and the behavioral charm.
Step 4. Master your own style
You can look to others as an example to develop your own elegant look, but you need to develop your own sense of style. This will make you more confident in your clothes, which will give you a more charming environment.
Step 5. Keep an eye on the details
Men may think accessories are for women, but a charming gentleman knows how to choose accessories that enhance his look. These small details can add a touch to your look or bring it out completely.
- In particular, wear gravitas, hats, men's scarves, jackets or blazers and shoes.
- If you're feeling a little more daring, you can also wear something old like a pocket watch or handkerchief.
Step 6. Be hygienic
You can't be charming if you look (or smell) like you haven't bathed in a week or haven't brushed your teeth in a month. Good hygiene is the polish that makes your charming look shine.
- Keep a trim look. The hair on your head and face should be neatly trimmed. You don't need to shave everything, but if you have any facial hair, you need to keep it regularly trimmed and looking good. If not, you can be clean and still look dirty.
- Wear perfume. This is optional, of course, and the right scent will depend on the occasion. A splash before an encounter can help a lot, for example. Remember to use a little and not soak yourself in perfume, as the strong smell can drive people away from you.
Part 2 of 3: Following a charming behavior
Step 1. Have a gentle smile
A smile at the right time can work wonders. Make your smile look as natural as possible, and use it to express self-confidence and appreciation for the company of the moment.
- Smiling is especially important if you are trying to make a good impression on a woman. Typically speaking, a man has more physical power than an average woman has. Most women know this and will stay away from you if they notice something about you that is dangerous or violent. Smiles show you are friendly and not a threat.
- However, he smiled, without making a malicious look. A little smile or a very quick wink is all you need. If you stare at her hungrily with a big smile on your face, you'll end up looking scary instead of charming.
Step 2. Use open and inviting body language
There may be an attraction to a man who seems a little distracted, but distraction and charm don't mix well. If you want to be a charming gentleman, you need to use body language that looks warm and inviting so that people feel comfortable around you.
- An example of closed body language is crossing your arms. This puts a physical barrier between you and the person you're talking to. Likewise, turning your body or head in one direction away from the person you are talking to conveys the idea that your attention is partly directed elsewhere.
- People use closed body language because it feels safer and reduces the risk of rejection. To appear charming, you need to wait and invite people to accept you, which requires open body language.
Step 3. Make eye contact
Eye contact lets people around you know you're listening to them and paying attention to them. Also, focusing on eye contact keeps your people from straying into other areas that can give you problems if you stare at them.
- Direct eye contact can also make you look more attractive to women. It produces a physiological reaction that keeps the brain interested, and as a result, you look more interesting too.
- Be careful not to overdo it. If you stare at a woman without blinking or occasionally looking away, you can frighten her.
- A good way to tell if you're doing this correctly is to gauge a woman's reaction to your eye contact. If she keeps eye contact with you, that's a good sign. It can also be a good sign that she smiles shyly and looks away while looking at you from time to time. It's a bad sign if she tries to put some distance between the two of you, or if she always avoids looking back at you.
Step 4. Nod your head
Learning to wave charmingly can take a while, but it may not feel natural at first. However, a quick, affirmative nod can add a touch of class to your oral reactions.
- Nodding is one of the more subtle forms of body language. If you like the way the conversation is going, nod subtly and continue to do so from time to time. If you don't like the way the conversation is going, stop waving. Most people, especially women, will understand this polite, nonverbal tip.
- In many cases, you'll also notice that people, particularly women, tend to get more involved in the conversation when you start waving. This signals that you find what they are talking about interesting, and the subtlety of that gesture is what makes him so charming.
Step 5. Stay a little close
When talking to someone you want to impress with your charming demeanor, get closer to make a stronger impression. That a little more attention can make a big difference.
If standing, take a step or two to get closer. If you are seated, lean toward the person. If both options don't seem very natural under a certain circumstance, you can convey the same attitude simply by nodding your head in the direction of the person you're talking to
Step 6. Understand the power of touch
A light, friendly touch can be a good way to demonstrate the confident, warm demeanor you need to be charming.
- Most people in our society tend to be a little impersonal with people they don't know well. So, we touch each other very little in daily life. A quick, light touch to an appropriate area, such as the hand or shoulder, can provide enough for a woman who's already wanted a touch to want even more.
- Pay attention to body language. If you touch a woman and she tenses up or pulls away, she is not comfortable with your touch. If she relaxes or leans into your touch, you're doing it right.
Step 7. Demonstrate self-confidence
When all else fails, remember that you need to appear confident to those around you to make a charming impression. Your body language and behavior should always be accompanied by self-confidence. Just be careful to avoid sounding narcissistic.
Along with the many other tips already mentioned, you need to have a confident stance. In other words, no bad posture. Keep your back straight and your shoulders square
Step 8. Be a gentleman
Another key element to being charming is knowing how to be a gentleman. Never insist on invading someone's personal space, and treat others with respect. Nothing is more charming than a man who knows how to treat himself and others right.
Part 3 of 3: Using charming language
Step 1. Improve your vocabulary
If you want to take this to the next level, improve your vocabulary and be more eloquent. A sophisticated vocabulary gives the impression of intelligence and wit, both of which can be highly attractive qualities.
- A natural way to improve vocabulary is to read more. As an added benefit, your knowledge will increase along with your vocabulary.
- Speaking too much slang is not recommended. Slang is very "common" in terms of language, but to be charming, you need to be more than common.
Step 2. Speak naturally
While advanced vocabulary is a good asset, you should never push things. It will be very obvious if you are forcing the use of words that don't feel natural to you. Instead, choose a way more polite than your natural way of speaking.
As a general rule of thumb, if you've never heard a word in a sentence or only heard it once or twice, you should probably avoid using it
Step 3. Be careful with nicknames
You might think nicknames are endearing, but many people think they're rude. Wait until you've developed some kind of relationship with a person before using nicknames, especially with women.
Even after meeting a girl, you should still be careful with nicknames. Try using it once. If the person has a positive reaction, you can continue using the nickname, as long as you occasionally use their name as well. If you get a negative reaction, you should just use the person's name at all times
Step 4. Keep the conversation flowing
Knowing how to converse makes you appear more self-confident and intelligent. A man who can carry on a conversation lightly will seem more intriguing and pleasant.