This wikiHow article will show you how to search for a specific message on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Method 1 of 2: On iPhone or iPad
Step 1. Open the Messaging app
His icon is green with a white speech bubble and will be on one of the home screens.
Step 2. Go to the top of the screen within the app
Once at the top, a search bar will appear.
- If you're in a conversation, you'll have to tap the back arrow in the upper left corner of the screen to go back to the main Messaging screen.
- In some versions, you will have to swipe the screen from top to bottom for the search bar to appear.
Step 3. Tap the search bar
Step 4. Enter the words you want to find
Put words you remember were in the message you want to find. You can also enter a contact's name or number to find all conversations with that contact.
Results will appear immediately when typing
Step 5. Tap the message or conversation you want to view
When you tap the message, you will be redirected to the conversation where it is.
- This search function has limitations. If the message is too far away in the conversation history, you will not be taken directly to the message but to the end of the conversation where it is.
- You'll also only see the most recent message that matches your search term.
Method 2 of 2: On a Mac
Step 1. Press ⌘ Command+Space to open Spotlight Search
iMessage is only available in OS X Mountain Lion version or later
Step 2. Enter “Messages”
Step 3. Press ↵ Enter
This will open Messages.
Step 4. Click on the search bar
It will be in the upper left corner of the window.
Step 5. Enter your search terms
Enter words that are in the message you want to find. You can also enter the person's name or phone number to view all the conversations you have with them.
Step 6. Click on the message or conversation you want to view
- The search function has limits. If the message is too far away in the conversation history, you will not be taken directly to the message, but to the end of the conversation where it is.
- You will only see the most recent message that matches what you searched for. If you want to see other messages that match your search, press ⌘+G until you find what you're looking for.