PayPal is used around the world to make and receive payments over the internet, making physical transactions less and less necessary. Read this article to learn how to send money to your PayPal account using different methods such as bank transfer or prepaid cards.
Method 1 of 5: Adding Money from Your Bank Account
Step 1. View your PayPal wallet
You will need to link a bank account to your PayPal account in order to transfer money between them. Visit paypal.com, log into your account and click on "Wallet" at the top of the page. This option is found between the "Send and Order" and "Buy" buttons.
- This procedure is only allowed if you have an active bank account in another country, such as the US. In Brazil, the direct transfer of money from a bank account to PayPal is not allowed, and a payment slip is required.
- If you don't have a bank account, you can use PayPal My Cash. Through this service, you can add money to your PayPal account using a card purchased at major retailers. That way you can turn your money into PayPal funds. See the next section for more information.
- It is not possible to transfer money to your PayPal account just by linking a credit card to it. This procedure will only allow you to make purchases with the card through PayPal. To add cash, you will need to link a bank account (or a prepaid card) or use PayPal Cash.
Step 2. Click on "Add a bank account" to register your bank account
Once that's done, you'll see a list of preferred banks.
Step 3. Register a preferred bank account
If your bank is on the list, select it. Enter your account information in the blank fields, then click "Agree and add." Once this is done, the account will be instantly verified.
Step 4. Register a different bank account
If your bank does not appear in the list of preferred banks, select the "Other bank" option and enter your account information.
Select the type of account (checking or savings), enter the requested information and finally click "Agree and add"
Step 5. Confirm the account after a few days
Within a few days, PayPal will make two small deposits to your account. You will need to confirm the amounts of these deposits for it to be verified. So once they're done, log into PayPal, click "Wallet" and then click "Confirm" next to the bank account to complete the process.
This procedure is only necessary if your bank is not one of the preferred (PayPal partners)
Step 6. Transfer money from your bank account
After linking a bank account, the process of transferring money to the PayPal account is quite simple.
- Go to PayPal and click on the "Add Money" option located below your balance.
- Select the bank account you will use to transfer the money and enter the desired amount. Click "Add".
Step 7. Check when the transaction will be completed
Depending on your bank and how you use PayPal, transactions may take a few days to process. Pay attention to the transfer completion date to prevent the withdrawal limit from your bank account being reached.
- Log in to PayPal and click on the "Activities" button at the top of the page.
- Click on the transaction being processed. You will see the estimated date for it to be completed.
Method 2 of 5: Using PayPal Cash
Step 1. Use PayPal Cash to add money to your Paypal account without needing a bank account or linked card
If you are living in the US, you can use PayPal Cash to send money to your PayPal account through the cashier at various US retail stores. PayPal Cash is a replacement for MoneyPak, discontinued in 2015.
Step 2. Find a location
Click on "Add money" on the left side of the screen and select "Add money at a store". A list of merchants that work with PayPal Cash (such as Rite-Aid and CVS) in your region will be displayed. Select a store from the menu and click "Start".
Step 3. Choose a method to receive your PayPal Cash barcode
To use PayPal Cash, you will need to create an online barcode that will be used to deposit money into your account. Enter your email address (or mobile number) to have your code sent digitally or click "Print"
- The barcode is only valid for 48 hours and can only be used once. If you cannot get to an accredited store within 48 hours, you will need to generate another code.
- The barcode can only be used to add money to your PayPal account.
Step 4. Take the barcode to the chosen store
Show it to the cashier, whether on your smartphone screen or in print. Once that's done, give him the amount of money you want to add to the account.
- You will be charged a $3.95 service fee (about $15.00). The teller will then scan the barcode to transfer the money to your PayPal account.
- You can add from US$20.00 to US$500.00 (approximately R$75.00 to R$1800.00) at a time, with the maximum monthly limit being US$4000.00 (approximately R$15,000, 00).
- The money will appear in your PayPal balance instantly. You will also receive an email notification confirming the action.
Method 3 of 5: Adding Prepaid Cards to Your PayPal Wallet
Step 1. Register your prepaid card with the issuer
You may need to register your billing address with the card issuer before using it with PayPal. To do this, visit the website or call the number on the back of the card and follow the instructions provided.
Step 2. Access your PayPal wallet
Most prepaid debit cards can be added to your PayPal wallet. Please note that in this case you will not be transferring money to your balance, but you will be able to select the card as your payment method at accredited merchants.
- Go to paypal.com/myaccount/wallet and login to PayPal if you are not already signed in.
- This method will not work with prepaid cards that do not have a Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover brand.
Step 3. Click on "Add a card" in the "Cards" section
Once this is done, the process for adding a new card will start.
Step 4. Click on the "Prepaid" tab
That way you can add a prepaid card to your account.
Step 5. Enter your prepaid card information
Enter the card number, expiration date and security code. Check that the selected address matches the address registered with the card issuer. You can select "Add a new billing address" if necessary.
Step 6. Select your prepaid card during a payment
After adding the card, you can select it during the payment process for a purchase via PayPal.
You cannot split the purchase amount between your prepaid card and your PayPal balance. Payment will be refused if the amount on the prepaid card is not sufficient to cover you or if you have registered an incorrect billing address
Method 4 of 5: Transferring Money Between PayPal Accounts
Step 1. Get ready to transfer money between PayPal accounts
If you want to add money to someone else's account, the process is relatively straightforward. You can, for example, transfer money to help a friend financially, fund a creative idea, or pay someone for something you've bought.
Step 2. Link a bank account to PayPal if you haven't already
Before sending money, you will need to have a bank account registered and confirmed in your PayPal account. If not, please follow the steps listed at the beginning of this article to complete the process.
Step 3. Send money
Log in to PayPal and click "Send and Request". You will see the heading "Send payment to" and a field where you must enter the information of the person you want to send the money to.
- Enter the email address or mobile number of the account you want to transfer the money to and click "Next".
- Enter the amount you want to send and click "Continue" to confirm it.
- It may take a few days for the amount to be processed, depending on the recipient's account limitations.
Step 4. Request money from someone else
If you haven't received a payment for a good or service, you can request the amount of it through PayPal. The request tool can also be used if you are trying to fund a project and want to ask family and friends for help.
- Click "Submit and Order" and select the "Order" tab.
- Enter the email address of the person who will receive the request and the amount you are requesting. The recipient will receive an email containing the requested amount and instructions for making payment through PayPal.
Step 5. Get the money
You will receive an email whenever a person sends a payment to your account.
- To transfer money from your PayPal account to your bank account, click on the "Bank Transfer" option in your balance (located on the left side of the screen). Enter the amount you want to transfer, select the bank account from the list, then click "Continue".
- To receive a check, select "Bank Transfer" and click on the "Request a Check by Mail" link at the bottom of the screen. Enter its value, select an address and click "Continue". The fee charged by PayPal is US$1.50 (about R$5.75) per check. This method is not available in Brazil.
Method 5 of 5: Understanding PayPal
Step 1. Understand the reasons you might want to have money in a PayPal account
PayPal allows you to send and receive money online with no hassle. In addition, you can use the money in your account or registered debit or credit cards to shop online and at accredited stores.
- PayPal can be used to make online purchases if it is linked to your bank account and credit card. This method of payment is more secure as the seller will only see your PayPal account number and not your bank or card information.
- PayPal, depending on your personal usage, may freeze your account or limit the amount of money you can transfer to the bank each month. Therefore, make sure you are following company policies and upgrade your account to Premium or Business if you carry out a high number of transactions.
Step 2. Consider linking a credit or debit card to PayPal
Adding a debit or credit card will make your transactions easier, as you no longer need to provide your information each time you make a purchase. To link a card, open your PayPal wallet and click "Add a Card". Once that's done, enter his information and click "Save".
Step 3. Use PayPal Safely
Many people use PayPal primarily to shop online. While most transactions go smoothly, you run the risk of having your PayPal account hacked into a fake online purchase, which can cause serious financial problems.
- Check the seller's qualifications. On most e-commerce sites, you'll be able to view the ratings and comments that the seller has received from other buyers. Before making a purchase, research the reputation of the person you are planning to buy from.
- Do not respond to messages from sellers you did not request. If you get a message about an item you've never expressed an interest in (something that happens frequently on eBay), don't respond. Reputable sellers don't go after customers, so these messages are likely malicious.
- If a product has a delivery estimate of more than 20 days after payment confirmation, be suspicious. Chances are, it's a fraud.
- It is not possible to send money to your PayPal account via a linked credit card.
- MoneyPak can no longer be used with PayPal.
- Please contact PayPal if you notice suspicious transactions on your account.
- It may take up to three business days for a money transfer to be processed by PayPal. You will be notified by email when this happens.