In his native Russia, vodka is considered one of life's greatest pleasures. With a very neutral flavor and a versatile alcohol content, vodka can be enjoyed straight or enjoyed with a few additions. Here are some ways to drink vodka.
Method 1 of 3: Drinking plain vodka
Step 1. Choose a straight vodka to drink
Most vodka aficionados believe that enjoying the drink in its pure state is appropriate.
- Vodka is commonly made by fermenting grains or vegetables. Vodkas made from grain tend to have a mild flavor, sometimes having a fruity taste. Those made with vegetables can be more abrasive, sometimes with a medicinal taste.
- According to some enthusiasts, good vodka will have a smooth, creamy taste. It will smell like grains and have a thick texture when frozen. Bad vodka will be abrasive, bitter, watery, and smell like medicine. If vodka burns your palate, it's of poor quality.
- If you're having trouble selecting vodka, go for the most popular brand. Most people prefer the flavor of Gray Goose, Absolut, Smirnoff, Ketel One or Stolichnaya.
- If the taste of plain vodka is too aggressive for you, choose a flavored one. There are vanilla and green apple vodkas on the market. Sugar can make the drink more palatable.
Step 2. Throw the vodka bottle in the freezer for a few hours
This is not wine! You want this drink to be as cold as possible.
Don't worry, the vodka won't freeze. Alcohol has a much lower freezing point than water and will remain unfrozen in conventional freezers
Step 3. Pour the vodka into a small glass
Just fill it up enough to take a few sips. Remember: this is not a cocktail: straight vodka will get you drunk faster.
- Tumbler glasses are often used to serve vodka. Fill the cup until the liquid is about half an inch below the rim.
- Serving cups are acceptable substitutes.
Step 4. Drink the vodka calmly – don't turn it over
Focus on enjoying the drink, not getting drunk.
- Smell the vodka while swirling it in the glass. Take a small sip and allow the flavor to rest on your palate for a few seconds. Exhale through your nose to fully appreciate this grainy aroma. Now, swallow and savor the taste that was left.
- Vodka was originally created to be a food spirit, meant to be taken gradually (like wine).
Step 5. Eat appetizers between sips
This will help reverse the flavor and balance the potency of plain vodka.
- Russians call the appetizers “zakuski”. The act of snacking between each sip is considered traditional.
- Common zakuskis include: quiche, smoked fish, spiced sausage, olives and cucumbers.
Method 2 of 3: Choosing a Drink
Step 1. Try a Screwdriver
Mix 15/30 ml of pure vodka with 90 ml of orange juice for a great drink. Add some ice cubes and mix with a spoon.
- For a more sophisticated drink, make a Mimosa Screwdriver. Mix 15ml of orange flavored vodka with 60ml of freshly squeezed orange juice. Add some orange zest and a small dose of extra dry champagne.
- Screwdrivers are best enjoyed in the morning and go well with lunch.
Step 2. Drink a Cosmopolitan
All you need is plain vodka, cranberry juice, Cointreau (orange flavored liqueur) and lime juice.
- Add 30ml of vodka and 15ml of each of the other ingredients. Shake well with ice slices.
- Grinding the rim of the glass with sugar and adding a rind and lime to it will make your drink look very sexy.
- You can add some orange zest to the drink to improve the flavor.
Step 3. Drink a Bloody Mary
This thick, flavorful cocktail focuses more on seasoning and taste to please your palate.
- Mix 15ml plain vodka with 45ml tomato juice, 15ml lemon juice, some Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of salt and pepper and a small dose of hot sauce. Add ice and mix gently.
- For a nice effect, add a branch of celery.
Step 4. Try Sex on the Beach
The Drink! This cocktail is made by mixing many fruits to mask the strong flavor of pure vodka.
- Mix 30/15ml of vodka with 60ml of orange juice, 60ml of cranberry juice and 15ml of Peach Schnapps.
- Fill the glass with ice, mix and garnish the rim with a slice of orange.
Step 5. Enjoy a good Sea Breeze
As refreshing as the name implies (Ocean Breeze), Sea Breeze is simple to make. You will enjoy it peacefully.
- Mix 30/15ml of plain vodka with 15/30ml of cranberry juice and 120ml of grapefruit juice.
- Add as many ice cubes as your glass can hold. Stir and garnish with a slice of lime.
Step 6. Enjoy a Vodka Martini
The Martini is a classic choice and the official James Bond 007 drink – shaken, not stirred.
- Simply mix 30/15ml pure vodka with 15ml Triple Sec (orange flavored liqueur) and 22ml lemon juice. Fill half of the shaker with ice cubes. Shake well and pour the solution into the martini glass whose edges are smeared with sugar.
- For added flavor, place the twisted rind of a lemon on the rim of the glass and add some olives.
Method 3 of 3: Experimenting with Candy
Step 1. Make a vodka drink with fruit candies. This cocktail can be enjoyed with every flavor of fruit candy.
- Sort the fruit candies by flavor or mix them according to the taste you want to get. Fill an empty water bottle with ten fruit candies.
- Use a funnel to pour 210ml of vodka into the bottle. Shake until the vodka starts to take on the color of the candy. Allow the mixture to sit overnight to allow the candy to crumble and blend into the vodka.
- Strain the liquid using a coffee filter. This will separate the candy pieces and make the solution smoother.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer container. Glass bottles with lids are best. Keep the cocktail in the freezer for a few hours and enjoy the taste!
Step 2. Flavor your vodka with Skittles
This sweet cocktail is a mixture of an alcoholic drink with a very popular candy.
- Put Skittles in a water bottle. Use a funnel to pour 18ml of vodka into a water bottle. Shake until the vodka takes on the color of the candy.
- Allow the mixture to sit for a few hours to allow the candy to melt and blend into the vodka. Filter the mixture using a coffee filter. Then pour the refined mixture into a glass bottle. Leave it in the freezer for a few hours. Your Skittles vodka is ready to drink!
Step 3. Make vodka teddy bears
Even though they are not a drink, these alcoholic fruit sweets are fun appetizers.
- Fill a Tupperware container with as many Gelatin Bears as you like. Pour the vodka into the container until the candy is covered. Close the container and keep it in the refrigerator for three days.
- Taste the teddy bear after the second day to find out if the alcoholic strength of the food is to your liking. Otherwise, simply add vodka to the container or remove the drink from it.
- You can replace the Teddy Bears with Jelly Worms. Just avoid other jelly beans - some will fall apart in contact with vodka.
- When you finish a bottle of vodka, leave it on the floor or throw it away. An empty vodka bottle on the table is considered a sign of bad luck.
- If you have nothing to say when making a toast, try the traditional “nazdarovye”. This is a way to wish your friends health.
- If someone makes a toast, tradition requires you to drink.
- It is considered unethical to drink on your own, or without making a toast.
- Alcohol does not interact well with certain medications. Talk to your doctor before drinking alcohol during treatment.
- Drinking during pregnancy can cause the child to be born with problems.
- Obey all laws and regulations regarding the use of alcohol.
- Drinking alcohol impairs your ability to drive or operate machinery.
- Excessive drinking can cause many health problems.
- Only buy/drink professionally produced vodka and sealed to avoid unknown and potentially harmful ingredients.