You know the bagel, that American ring-shaped roll? Have you ever thought about making a pizza with him? This is a nice alternative if you have a few bagels left at home and want a change. The recipe is super easy, after all, half the work is already done: the dough. After making the simpler version, you can experiment with new flavors and create unique combinations.
- 1 bagel cut in half.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- 8 slices of pepperoni or salami.
- 2 tablespoons of grated mozzarella.
Makes one or two servings.
Method 1 of 2: Making a Simple Pizza
Step 1. Preheat oven to 190 °C
Leave it to heat up while you assemble the pizza with the bagel.
If you want to use the microwave, skip this step and go to the next one
Step 2. Place the halved bagel on a baking sheet
Regular bagel is a great choice, but you can also use a tastier one, such as whole wheat or cheese. Just be sure to place the sliced side of the bread facing up.
- Make cleaning easier by lining the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- If you are going to use the microwave, use a glass pan.
- Do not use sweet bagel, with raisins or cinnamon. These flavors don't go well with tomato and cheese sauce.
Step 3. Spread 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on both halves of bagel
The exact amount of sauce doesn't matter – add as much as you like. However, try to put 1 tablespoon in each half, at least.
If you like, use a tomato sauce with herbs
Step 4. Put 1 scoop of grated mozzarella onto each bagel
You can add as much or as little cheese as you like, as long as you are careful to distribute it evenly on the halves.
You can also use other types of cheese such as cheddar, parmesan or a mix of various options
Step 5. Cover the bagel with pepperoni slices if desired
Place 4 thin or 2 medium slices of pepperoni on each half of the bread. If you want a more faithful mini pizza look, prefer to use a smaller pepperoni, about 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm in diameter.
- No pepperoni at home? Try putting salami in place!
- No need for pepperoni or salami if you don't want to.
Step 6. Bake the bagel until the cheese is melted and bubbling, which takes about ten minutes
If you use the microwave, a minute or a minute and a half should be enough.
To microwave only one half of the bagel, cut the total time to about 35 to 45 seconds. In the oven, time does not change
Method 2 of 2: Trying Out Different Options
Step 1. Make a pepperoni pizza with sliced onion, sausage and pepper
Cut the bagel in half and add the tomato sauce. Add some grated parmesan and mozzarella. Top with sliced red onion, Italian sausage and sliced red pepper. Bake until cheese is melted and garnish with fresh basil.
- Chop the pepperoni sausage into very small pieces.
- Fry the sausage first.
- Chop the basil into thin slices to distribute it better.
Step 2. Assemble the pizza with barbecue sauce, chicken and onion
Spread some barbecue sauce over the bagel halves, then sprinkle a mixture of four cheeses. Chop a grilled chicken breast into cubes and season with more barbecue sauce. Place them on the pizza, along with some onion slices. Roast it and garnish it with chopped parsley.
- You probably won't use all the grilled chicken on pizza.
- Cut the grilled chicken breast into cubes of about 1 cm.
Step 3. Try a Greek-style pizza with onions, artichokes, olives and tomatoes
Cut a sesame bagel in half and cover it with hummus (chickpea paste). Add some onion rings, marinated artichoke, black olives and roasted tomatoes. Add a little feta cheese and finish with oregano. Bake the pizza and decorate it with chopped parsley.
- If you don't like hummus, replace it with tomato sauce.
- Cut the marinated artichoke into small pieces and slice the olives lengthways in half.
Step 4. Make a fancier recipe with olive oil, basil, caramelized onion and mushroom
Drizzle a rye bagel with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add some fresh basil leaves and sprinkle grated mozzarella on top. Top with caramelized onions and sliced mushrooms. Bake the pizza and serve it decorated with chopped basil.
- Use enough basil leaves to cover the bagel. The amount needed depends on the size of the sheets.
- Cut the onion in advance and sauté it in a skillet until it turns brown. Do not sauté the mushrooms – put them fresh.
Step 5. Assemble a pizza with pepperoni, ham, bacon and peppers
Spread tomato sauce on halved bagel. Add 5 slices of pepperoni and cover with diced ham, bacon bits and chopped green peppers. Finish with a little grated mozzarella cheese. Take it to the oven to bake.
- If the bagel has a large hole in the middle, cover it with a slice of pepperoni.
- You can buy the bacon in pieces at any supermarket.
- If you don't find the bacon in pieces, fry a strip until it is crispy and crumble it before using.
Step 6. Use mini bagels to make mini pizzas
Use the same process and the same ingredients, but in mini bagels. The biggest difference is that you should use ingredients proportional to the size of the bread. For the recipe to work, bake the mini pizza at 220 °C for about five minutes.
Instead of slicing the toppings, chop them into small pieces. Thus, the ingredients are more proportional and the flavor is evenly distributed
Step 7. Get inspired by other pizza recipes
Look for versions of pizza on the internet or in recipe books. Cover the bagel with the sauce and the ingredients indicated. Don't worry about exact amounts: use what feels right and tasty. Bake the pizza at 220°C for about eight minutes or until the cheese melts.
You can make almost any type of pizza using a bagel, including Portuguese, margarita and vegetarian
- Toast the bagel lightly before adding the sauce to prevent the dough from absorbing too much moisture and becoming soft.
- If the bottom of the bun turns brown too early, place a rack inside the pan and bake the bagels on top of it.
- Fix the ingredients to create smiley faces or cut them into cute shapes like hearts or stars. Kids love it!
- Produce a larger batch of pizzas with bagels and freeze them for a few hours without baking them. Place each pizza in a zip-lock bag and take it to the freezer.
- To heat frozen pizzas, place them in the microwave for one to two minutes or put them in the oven at 190 °C for 15 to 20 minutes.