Many people recommend putting the sausage to cook directly in the microwave, perhaps wrapped in a paper towel. However, this way, it will not be cooked evenly and may break or become dry in some parts. Thus, it would be difficult to prepare a good hot dog. Learn how to make a sausage that is always cooked evenly, tasty and that will be ready in a few minutes.
Step 1. Stick a fork in one or two sausages
Take a fork and drive it about a quarter of the way from the end of the food so that they are parallel for most of the sausage. It is very important that the utensil is longer than the sausage itself.
Step 2. Place in a glass or plastic cup (remember to make sure the container is microwaveable) that is bigger than the sausage but smaller than the fork
Step 3. Fill the glass with enough COLD water to cover the entire sausage (but not the fork)
The water should be cold (not least because the sausage that has just been taken out of the fridge will also be cold), as the hot water would boil before its time and would not cook the entire food.
Step 4. Place the cup in the microwave
It is extremely IMPORTANT that the fork does not come into contact with any part of the microwave, or it could spark. Most microwave ovens have turntables, so it's important to ensure that when the cup turns, the fork is still a safe distance away from metal surfaces, whether it's the ceiling or walls of the appliance.
- The fork is used to keep the food under water so that it is cooked evenly. The sausage dries out when it is directly exposed to the microwave's rays, which is almost always because it floats in the water.
- Rest assured: placing a metal fork in the microwave will not set it on fire. If the cutlery comes into contact with the appliance, it is possible that there is a spark that could damage the fork or the surface. However, as long as there is no such contact, it will be perfectly safe.
Step 5. Put two minutes on high power for one sausage, and three minutes for two
Make adjustments according to the effectiveness of the device. Ideally, let the water boil for 20 to 30 seconds before turning it off.
Step 6. Take the cup out of the microwave, very carefully, as the container will be very hot, as it contains boiling water
Hold your fork with a dish towel to remove the sausages from the cup and place them on a plate
Step 7. Heat the hot dog bun for ten seconds in the microwave if you like it hot too
Step 8. Use the fork to place the sausage on the bread
Step 9. You're done
- It is very important that the fork does not touch any part of the microwave. Otherwise, there may be sparks that could damage the cutlery or the metal surface of the appliance. As long as that doesn't happen, it will be perfectly safe.
- Avoid putting sausages and hot dog buns together in the microwave. The gluten in bread tends to plasticize as water vapor leaves the bread. Therefore, it is important to heat it up slowly.
- You can also use a plastic cutlery if you prefer, as long as it's heavy enough to keep the sausage underwater at all times - that's its only function. If you don't want to use a fork, just use any other method to keep the sausage completely underwater while it cooks.