Abbott, manufacturer of the Glucerna line, is a company that produces food supplements for people with diabetes. She has several options for shakes and energy bars, which are designed to contain carbohydrates that the body slowly digests. This helps diabetics control their blood glucose levels, helping to lower their sugar levels.
Part 1 of 2: Determining if Glucerna is Right for You
Step 1. Take Glucerna only if you have diabetes
It is designed to be used by people who have type one and two diabetes. However, it is not suitable for someone who does not have diabetes. Also, other similar products are designed for people who do not suffer from this condition:
Step 2. Consult a doctor before taking Glucerna in case of gestational diabetes, as it has not been tested on pregnant or nursing women
Gestational diabetes must be closely monitored by a physician to ensure the safety of both mother and baby
Step 3. Discuss Glucerna with a pediatrician before giving it to a child, as this product is designed for the nutritional needs of adults
- Children under four years of age should not consume Glucerna products.
- Children from four to eight years old can only consume Glucerna products with a doctor's recommendation.
- Children over nine years of age may include Glucerna products in their diet, as long as they are accompanied by medical attention.
Step 4. Do not use Glucerna products to treat insulin shock
This condition occurs when diabetics have too much insulin in their blood, causing their blood sugar to drop. If it is not treated immediately, it can lead to diabetic coma or even be fatal.
- Glucerna products do not efficiently treat insulin shock as they are very slowly digested.
- See a doctor right away if you have an insulin shock.
- Glucerna has not been tested in people who suffer from low blood sugar but do not have diabetes (called hypoglycaemia). If you have hypoglycemia, consult a physician before using Glucerna products.
Part 2 of 2: Adding Glucerna products to the diet
Step 1. See a doctor to make a nutritional plan that's right for you
It will help you create a healthy diet that matches your goals.
- For best results, combine Glucerna products with a healthy diet that includes complex rather than simple carbohydrates.
- Complex carbohydrates digest more slowly and will help keep your blood sugar levels stable. Whole grains, vegetables, beans, peas and lentils are excellent sources of these carbohydrates.
- Avoid simple carbohydrates like refined sugar and processed white flour. They are more likely to cause an increase in blood sugar.
Step 2. Review the different product options
Glucerna is a product that provides complete nutritional profiles, suitable for snacks and meal replacements.
- Examine the nutrition information to find out which products best meet your needs based on the amount of calories, carbohydrates, proteins and other nutrients.
- If you have food allergies, read the ingredients to ensure the products are safe for you.
Step 3. Snack between meals to level your blood sugar
The Glucerna line also has versions in bars and shakes.
- These products are designed to help you deal with hunger by providing protein without the added calories.
- If your goal is to gain weight, consult a doctor to find out if Glucerna products can help with your diet.
Step 4. Lose weight using meal replacement shakes
They are rich in vitamins and proteins to keep the body nourished and are low in calories to contribute to weight loss.
- Advance and Hunger Smart shakes can be used as meal replacements.
- Shakes are found in chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- Use meal replacements only under the supervision of a physician. Also, don't substitute more than one meal.
- To lose weight more efficiently, exercise regularly. Doing 30 minutes a day increases calorie burn and helps improve health.