The fat that accumulates around the belly, better known as "love handle", is one of the most annoying to eliminate. Diet, sedentary lifestyle, sleep patterns and stress can all impact on abdominal fat, making it very difficult to lose it. While it's challenging, you can, yes, get rid of the infamous tires by lowering your fat percentage. Just commit to physical activity, change your diet and adopt healthier habits in general.
Method 1 of 3: Exercising to Say Goodbye to Love Lovers
Step 1. Get physical at least three times a week
Consistency is the key to eliminating body fat and getting the love handles away. Whatever your exercise routine, you should move your skeleton at least three times a week to combat physical inactivity and abdominal fat.
The exact amount of time it takes will vary depending on your body type and your goals, but in general it's good to work out in 30- to 60-minute sessions
Step 2. Make a variety of activities to escape the plateau effect
The belly is very stubborn and hard to lose. So it's important to change your exercise routine so you don't stall and stop progressing. As muscles get used to a specific activity, it becomes less and less effective. Vary things to train different muscle groups and burn more fat.
- With this trick, you're also less likely to get fed up with the exercises, keeping your motivation up.
- For example, do you do yoga one day and HIIT the next? Think of a different sequence, like a day of weight training at the gym and a day of swimming for the next few sessions. It's okay to do the same activities in a row, but try to give them a variety at least twice a week.
Step 3. Do high intensity interval workouts, better known as HIIT
To maximize your results, try to incorporate several short sessions, 20 to 60 seconds each, of intense aerobic training. Of course, consistent, moderate-intensity aerobic training, such as brisk walking and jogging, will help lower your body fat percentage, but short, pull sessions are often more effective for love handles.
- Look for HIIT classes at any gym to burn calories and lose fat in less time.
- You can also create your own HIIT workout on the treadmill.
Step 4. Do complete exercises to train your entire body
To get rid of the love handles, you need to decrease your body fat percentage (not just the fat located in the belly, since that's not even possible). Therefore, it is essential to do a strength training for the whole body, as it helps to increase lean mass, and muscles burn calories and fat even at rest.
- Weight squats and lift the dumbbells at the end of the movement. This way you train almost all your abdominal muscles, legs and arms.
- Another complete exercise option is the alternating oblique abs on the ball, which also helps to sculpt the core.
- The deadlift is also great for burning fat and strengthening the core.
Step 5. Strengthen the core to get a six pack abs
First of all, understand that there is no exercise that burns localized fat (or love handles), but sit-ups can help to define the belly along with aerobic training, which eliminates fat. Exercises that focus on the belly, such as the oblique sit-ups, can complete your full-body workout routine and sculpt the region.
- The board and its variations, like the side board, work the entire core, legs and shoulders. In a functional workout, combined with other cardiovascular exercises such as jumping jacks, it also brings other benefits, such as burning more calories.
- No exercise burns localized fat, so it's no use doing 1,000 sit-ups a day to eliminate love handles. Muscle won't even show up under the fat.
Step 6. Make an effort to walk more often
In addition to HIIT and weight training, walking is also necessary to get rid of abdominal fat. It may not give as fast or effective results as other more intense activities, but it can make a big difference to your tire size in the long run.
- Try taking a walk when you wake up. That way, you don't even have time to think too much and end up overwhelmed by laziness.
- For more walking, leave your car in the garage and walk to the usual places (or park at a location farther away from your destination). Your number of daily steps should increase without you realizing it.
Step 7. Do yoga to lower your fat percentage
While yoga is a lighter activity, it's also known for effectively eliminating body fat. Yoga also relieves stress, lowering cortisol levels and helping to send love handles into space.
- Some types of yoga, such as vinyasa and power, are even cooler options for those who want to lose their belly. Both are very dynamic, which helps you burn more calories and fat.
- Yoga also controls stress and improves sleep quality, which helps to eliminate more persistent fat.
Method 2 of 3: Lowering Abdominal Fat with Healthy Eating
Step 1. Eat a lot of protein
Lean meats such as chicken and fish are beautiful sources of protein, which is essential for losing belly fat. The nutrient helps stabilize your blood sugar level and fill your stomach more, controlling your craving for junk food later.
- Protein intake also helps regulate insulin and cortisol levels, which can help eliminate love handles.
- Salmon is an excellent source of lean protein that also contains omega 3, a fatty acid that fights bad fats.
- The egg is also great, besides being very nutritious and low in calories. Another advantage of the egg is its low price, which is great for those on a tight budget.
Step 2. Consume more fiber
Like protein, fiber is essential for saying goodbye to love handles. With fiber-rich foods, you're satisfied for longer, which eliminates after-hours snacks and reduces calorie consumption.
- Some high fiber fruits are apples, bananas, papayas, prunes and berries.
- Other excellent vegetables include broccoli, kale, peas and beans.
Step 3. Consume foods rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants, present in vegetables and fruits, can reduce inflammation that contributes to the accumulation of fat in the pan. Plus, these same foods are rich in the vitamins your body needs to stay healthy and continue to burn fat.
Green tea is another antioxidant-rich option
Step 4. Add more healthy fats to your diet
It may seem strange to eat fat to lose weight, but it all depends on the type of fat: unsaturated ones are the girls here, as they help fight LDL (bad cholesterol). Some good fat sources include avocados, olive oil, nuts and fish. They give you energy and fill your belly without adding unwanted fat.
Unlike unsaturated fats, which fight stomach flu, saturated and trans fats, like those found in processed foods, can plump your stomach and hinder your progress
Step 5. Avoid sugar consumption
Sugar is one of the main responsible for the appearance of love handles. Foods high in refined sugar are often high in calories, causing the body to accumulate fat. They can also be addictive, causing a certain lack of control when eating and the consequent enlargement of the belly. Thus, to get rid of tires, it is essential to avoid sugar and give preference to healthier options.
- It's important to cut down on sugar, but you don't have to completely eliminate it from your diet to lose your belly. Leave the sweets for special occasions and control your portions when you eat.
- Are you dying for a chocolate? How about exchanging your bonbon for a fruit? Fruits also contain a lot of sugar, but it is natural and contributes less to the accumulation of fat in the abdomen.
Step 6. Skip simple carbs
Want to lose your love handles for good? Avoid eating foods rich in simple carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, crackers, cakes, white rice and potatoes. Carbohydrate is essential for giving energy to the body, but the simple causes insulin spikes, which causes sugar to be stored in the form of abdominal fat.
- Simple carbohydrates are easy to digest and fall into the bloodstream quickly as glucose. Excess glucose (ie energy) is stored by insulin as fat, mainly in the belly.
- Instead of simple carbohydrates, choose to eat complex carbohydrates, found in whole grains, quinoa and oats, among others.
Step 7. Eat healthy, regular meals to boost your metabolism
Skipping meals can raise cortisol levels, increasing love handles. It's important to make an effort to eat at regular times, thus controlling your stress-causing hormones.
- With healthy meals and snacks, you avoid the temptation to overeat or raid the fridge at dawn.
- Regular meals also help keep your metabolism up, which is essential for getting rid of love handles.
Method 3 of 3: Adopting Healthy Habits
Step 1. Find activities that help you relieve stress, which goes hand in hand with abdominal fat
When you get stressed, your cortisol levels skyrocket, increasing your belly fat storage. To avoid the problem, make time in your schedule for relaxing and pleasurable activities.
Some great options are reading, playing an instrument or playing a sport such as football
Step 2. Sleep well to stay motivated
Sleep has a huge impact on the body's ability to fight fat in the abdomen. When you don't get enough sleep, it's harder to control your appetite, sweet tooth, mood, and motivation. With a good night's sleep, you get your energy back to stay on track, eat healthy, exercise and get your love handles running.
- Sleep also reduces cortisol, combating stress and consequently eliminating belly fat.
- If you sleep well at night, you can't even get up to attack the fridge and undermine your plan to lose your belly.
Step 3. Don't rely on the scale to measure progress
When the body loses fat and gains lean mass, the numbers on the scale can stay the same or even increase. Forget about weight – assess how you feel and how your clothes fit. This is a much more accurate factor to indicate whether the love handles are getting smaller or not.
Step 4. See a doctor for a healthier lifestyle
Losing abdominal fat can boost your well-being and self-esteem, but above all, it can greatly improve your health. Excess belly fat increases the risk of diabetes and heart disease. So, if your waist circumference is high, causing health concerns, see a doctor and nutritionist. Professionals can make a plan based on your needs, medical history, and lifestyle.