Whether you're getting ready for a Halloween party or planning to attend a theme party, this article will help you by teaching you how to show off your inner gangster!
Method 1 of 2: Method One: Dressing Like a Classic Gangster
Step 1. Dress formally
Gangsters from the 20s and 30s dressed elegantly. A typical attire included an all black, gray, or striped suit with a tie. Keep the color scheme simple – stick with black, white, gray or brown.
- If you don't have a blazer, wear a vest and roll up the sleeves of your collared shirt.
- Wear a white collared shirt with a black tie, or a black collared shirt with a white tie.
- Wear a pair of black or brown shoes.
Step 2. Wear a hat
Find a black, white, gray or striped fedora hat. A traditional look among gangsters and mobsters was to wear a black hat with a white trim, or a white hat with a gray trim.
Make sure the hat matches your outfit. Again, stick with neutral colors like black, white, gray and brown
Step 3. Load a fake weapon
Toy guns can be purchased at Halloween stores or toy stores. Consider buying a water gun and painting it black.
Step 4. Load a cigar
In old movies, criminals, gangsters and other “bad guys” were often seen smoking cigars. While you certainly don't have to smoke the cigar, carrying it around will add a very authentic element to your fantasy.
Method 2 of 2: Method Two: Dressing Like a Modern Gangster
Step 1. Wear loose clothing
Unlike the gangsters of the past, the current ones wear casual, loose-fitting clothes in a variety of colors.
- Find a pair of baggy blue or black jeans.
- Buy a t-shirt in a size larger than yours, or a white tank top.
- Wear a sweatshirt one size larger than yours, or a padded jacket.
Step 2. Put the ink to work
Gangsters are famous for their tattoos. You can draw fake tattoos using a pen, or apply temporary tattoo stickers.
- Many gang members have tattoos on the faces of loved ones who have passed away in their arms.
- Draw tattoos on your face, neck and/or chest.
Step 3. Shine
Find long silver or gold chains with dollar signs, crosses, or other symbols. Try using multiple chains of different sizes and colors.
Step 4. Wear a bandana or hat
Tie a bandana around your head or wrap it around your neck, making a knot at the back. Hats can be used in any color, but must not have logos or designs on them.