American Bully is one of the pitbull varieties. Their puppies are very small and fragile, but they soon grow into big, muscular dogs. However, for them to grow healthy, a diet with good quality, nutrient-rich foods is required. There are even brands that manufacture feed specifically for pitbulls or specific types of pitbulls. Opt for a high-quality kibble and reinforce your diet with raw meat and a protein and vitamin supplement.
Part 1 of 2: Choosing a high quality pet food
Step 1. Talk to your veterinarian about which pet food is best for your American Bully puppy
Due to the crossbreeding and physical appearance, this differentiated breed of dogs has specific nutritional needs. Talk to your veterinarian about what kind of pet food he suggests shortly after you adopt your puppy.
Talk to the veterinarian before starting to give any food supplements to the puppy. He will be able to distinguish whether the add-in will be useful or not
Step 2. Choose a ration that is made up of at least 30% protein
American Bully puppies need to start building their muscles in the first few months of life, so it's important that the feed they consume has enough protein for them to stay strong. A good rule of thumb to make sure your feed has enough protein is to look at the ingredients: at least three of them should be meat.
- Go to a pet store and read the packages of various puppy rations. They should tell you the protein concentration in the feed.
- You can also find good quality dog food in large supermarkets or hypermarkets.
Step 3. Choose a ration that is made up of at least 20% fat
Like all puppies, pitbulls need a lot of fat in their diet. A relatively high-fat diet keeps puppies healthy and allows their bodies to develop in the normal period. In addition, the fat in their feed helps their bodies metabolize protein and nutrients more easily.
If you feed a ration with less than 30% protein and 20% fat, the puppy may have health problems after he grows up
Step 4. Add a protein supplement to the puppy's diet
In order for your Pit Bully to develop the muscle tone that most owners want, you can add a supplement to their diet. These supplements contain vitamins, protein and nutrients that help your puppy grow and build muscle mass.
- Muscle Dog, BioSan and Creatine Dog are brands of supplements you can give to pit bull puppies.
- You can find these supplements at pet stores. If not, ask if it is possible to place an order.
Part 2 of 2: Organizing meal times
Step 1. Feed the American Bully puppy two or three times a day
Puppies twelve weeks to six months of age should be fed three times a day. This allows the puppy to have frequent small meals so that he receives the necessary nutrition without overeating. After six months, take two meals a day.
- Find times that fit your routine for feeding your puppy. For example, have a meal at seven in the morning before going to work, another at one in the afternoon after lunch, and at eight in the evening after dinner.
- The amount of feed you should give depends on your puppy's size and appetite. Follow the recommendations on the pet food package or ask your veterinarian how much food a healthy American Bully puppy should eat each day.
- Puppies under 12 weeks need four meals a day. If your pitbull puppies are quite small, talk to your veterinarian to set up an ideal meal schedule for them.
Step 2. Give the American Bully fresh water with every meal
Don't leave the bowl of water standing all day. Discard any standing water and refill the bowl with each meal. This will keep the puppy hydrated and prevent it from ingesting insects or bacteria present in the water it is exposed to for too long.
Keep doing this after the American Bully grows too
Step 3. Restrict the dog's access to food if he gets too fat
Unlike other more slender breeds, American Bullies tend to get fat if they have access to food and no one to supervise. If your schedule doesn't allow you to feed your puppy three times a day, make the food available for him to feed on, but if you notice he is getting fat instead of muscular, restrict access to the feed.
- For example, give a good portion at seven in the morning and another at seven in the evening.
- The puppy's metabolism changes when he is one year old. At that point, you'll notice if he's getting fat instead of building muscle.
- It is very important to provide a high quality diet for American Bully pit bull puppies, even more so than for other dog breeds. If you don't do this, the dog can have poor body formation and develop health problems as an adult.
- Some pitbull owners give raw meat as a supplement to their dogs, but this practice is not recommended by most veterinary advice. Raw food has a high risk of contamination and can upset the nutritional balance of the American Bully, which causes deficiencies.
- Never give steroids to increase muscle mass in your American Bully puppy, even as an adult. This practice puts the animal's health at risk.