3 Ways to Recognize Signs of Poisoning in Dogs

Table of contents:

3 Ways to Recognize Signs of Poisoning in Dogs
3 Ways to Recognize Signs of Poisoning in Dogs
Anonim

When a dog swallows or inhales something poisonous, it needs to be treated by a veterinarian. Symptoms range from vomiting and lethargy to the production of bloody urine and seizures. If you suspect the dog is poisoning, examine both the dog and the environment carefully and then call the veterinarian. If you know what caused the poisoning, the provider can quickly determine the best form of treatment.

Steps

Method 1 of 3: Examining the Dog's Body

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 1

Step 1. Look inside the animal's mouth

The dog's gums and tongue should be light to medium pink in color; if his gums are naturally dark, check his tongue. When the gums and tongue are blue, purple, orange or bright red, it is essential to take him to the vet immediately, as something is preventing the blood flow through his body.

Test the capillaries to determine if there is poison preventing the animal's blood from circulating properly. Lift your upper lip and press your gums onto a canine tooth using your thumb. Release and check the color of the pressed location; the gums should go from white to pink within two seconds. If the delay is longer, take him to the vet

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 2

Step 2. Analyze the dog's heart rate

When your heart rate exceeds 180 per minute and there is reason to suspect poisoning, contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. The normal heart rate for an adult dog is between 70 and 140 beats per minute; larger dogs have a lower heart rate.

  • To analyze the animal's heartbeat, place your hand on the left side of the animal's chest, behind the elbow, feeling its heart beating. Count how many beats are performed in 15 seconds and multiply the number by four to find your heart rate per minute.
  • If so, write down the dog's normal heart rate for future reference. Some dogs have a higher amount of heartbeats by nature.
Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 3

Step 3. Measure the dog's temperature using a thermometer

Generally, puppies will have a normal body temperature of 38.3°C to 39.2°C. The fever does not necessarily indicate that he was poisoned, but it does indicate a general illness. When the animal is stressed or excited, it may have a high temperature, but that is just a “false alarm”. If the pet is lethargic, sick and has a high body temperature, take it to the veterinarian.

Have someone measure the dog's temperature. One person should hold the animal's head while another inserts the thermometer into the rectum, which is directly under the tail. Lubricate the thermometer with petroleum jelly or a lubricant such as KY. Use a digital thermometer

Method 2 of 3: Identifying Strange Behaviors

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 4

Step 1. Check the dog's balance

If the animal appears to be dizzy, disoriented or staggering, it may have a cardiac or neurological condition, as well as low blood sugar levels, a problem caused by the poisoning. Again, seek medical attention immediately.

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 5

Step 2. See if he has symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea

Both are highly irregular in dogs, but signal that the animal is trying to expel foreign and venous substances from the body. Examine the animal's vomit or feces and note color, content and consistency. Stools should be firm and brown in color; if they are too watery, soft and yellow, green or too dark, take him to the vet.

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 6

Step 3. Pay attention to the animal's breathing

It is normal for dogs to be panting in most cases as it is their way of expelling heat; however, if the animal is panting heavily for more than 30 minutes, there may be a respiratory or cardiac problem. If you hear a wheeze or noise while the dog is breathing, call the veterinarian immediately, as the lungs may be affected by what the dog has consumed.

You can determine your dog's heart rate by looking at his chest, counting how many times he breathes in 15 seconds and multiplying by four to get the breaths per minute. Normally, he breathes 10 to 30 times a minute

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 7

Step 4. Watch for signs of sudden loss of appetite

If the dog suddenly stops eating, he may have ingested some toxic substance. Call your veterinarian if the lack of appetite persists for more than 24 hours.

Method 3 of 3: Asking for help

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 8

Step 1. Make a detailed note of the animal's symptoms

Check when the demonstrations started and what actions you are taking to slow them down. The more information you can include, the easier it will be for the professional to help you.

Do not give the animal any liquid after it consumes a poisonous substance. This can spread the poison through the body more quickly

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 9

Step 2. Identify what caused the problem

Walk around the house and garden to check for anything that might have poisoned the dog, such as mushrooms, antifreeze, rat poison, or fertilizer. Watch out for spilled liquids and chemicals, medicine boxes on the floor, and overturned boxes.

  • If you suspect the dog has consumed a poisonous product, read the package label and look for chemical constituents. Most products with toxic ingredients will have a phone number that customers can call to find out more. Below is a list of frequently consumed toxic substances:
  • Wild mushrooms (you need to research each one individually, using a reference text).
  • Moldy walnuts.
  • Oleander.
  • Lilies.
  • Dieffenbachia.
  • Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea).
  • Household cleaning products.
  • Snail baits (with metaldehyde).
  • Pesticides.
  • Herbicides.
  • Some fertilizers.
  • Chocolate (especially bitter ones).
  • Xylitol (sugar free gum).
  • Macadamia nuts.
  • Onions.
  • Grapes or raisins.
  • Yeast dough.
  • Alcohol.
Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 10

Step 3. Call a veterinarian or emergency services

Because poisons have similar effects on people and dogs, many emergency services can provide valuable advice. Call your veterinarian and describe the symptoms and possible causes of accidental poisoning. Discuss any concerns you may have about poisoning and whether it is better to take the dog to the vet.

Do not induce the dog to vomit unless recommended by a professional. Usually, after two hours, the substance has left the stomach. Also, if the pet is having difficulty breathing, is staggering and appears to be partially conscious, inducing vomiting can cause it to choke

Recognize Poisoning in Dogs Step 11

Step 4. Take the dog to a veterinary clinic

Any second lost is fatal in treating a dog's accidental poisoning; if symptoms persist even after the veterinarian's initial assessment, take him to a veterinary clinic quickly; there are 24-hour veterinary hospitals for when symptoms appear at dawn or on weekends.

Popular by topic