Every domestic cat is susceptible to poisoning, whether at home or on the street. Due to the curious nature and obsession with cleanliness of these animals, they end up getting into risky situations from time to time. Among the most common poisons are insecticides, medicines for humans, certain plants and foods that contain certain chemicals that cats cannot metabolize. Read the article below to find out what to do.
Part 1 of 3: Helping the cat
Step 1. Learn to identify the symptoms of poisoning
Your cat may be poisoned if it has one of the following signs:
- Difficulty breathing.
- Blue tongue and gums.
- Vomiting or diarrhea attacks.
- Gastric irritation.
- Coughing and sneezing fits.
- Convulsions, tremors and involuntary muscle spasms.
- Weakness and loss of consciousness.
- Dilated pupils.
- Frequent urination.
- Dark urine.
Step 2. Take the cat to a well-ventilated area
If you think your cat has been poisoned and it is lying down, unconscious or weak, remove it immediately from the area and move it to a bright, ventilated place.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt or gloves to protect yourself from the poison. Also, the cat may end up biting or scratching anyone who comes close, as it is angry and scared.
- Every cat's instinct is to hide when it feels anxious or unwell. If the animal is poisoned, you have to pay attention to the symptoms to prevent it from disappearing. Pick it up - gently but forcefully - and take it to a safe place where there is access to water, such as the bathroom or kitchen.
- If the poison is in this area, carefully remove it from the reach of animals and humans.
Step 3. Call the veterinarian office immediately
Any experienced veterinarian will be able to help alleviate the situation and give precise instructions on what to do to care for the cat. Also, the pussy is more likely to survive if you turn to the professionals right away, right after you stabilize it.
- You can also call animal emergency rooms in your city.
- Animal clinics and emergency rooms almost always charge a fee for care.
Part 2 of 3: Administering First Aid
Step 1. If possible, identify the poison
This way, you will know whether or not you can induce the cat to vomit. If you have access to the packaging of the product he swallowed or inhaled, look for the following information: brand, active ingredients, and strength. Also, try to estimate how much the cat has consumed: was the box new? How much of it is left?
- Contact the veterinarian, the animal emergency room and the product manufacturer first.
- If you have internet access, do a search for the active ingredient in the product with something like "Is [name of product] toxic to cats?".
- Some products are okay when ingested. If so, don't worry; if not, decide whether or not you will induce the cat to vomit.
Step 2. Do not give the cat any home remedies (unless the vet recommends it)
Don't give pet food, other foods, water, milk, salt, oils and olive oil or anything like that - unless you know what the pussy has ingested and what the best form of first aid is. Otherwise, the picture may even get worse.
The veterinarian will have more information and competence to determine what to do and how to treat the cat's condition
Step 3. Ask your veterinarian for advice before inducing the cat to vomit
Don't force the pussy to do anything without receiving the professional's instructions. Some poisons (especially corrosive acids) can make the condition even worse. Only induce emesis if:
- The cat ingested the poison in less than two hours. If he consumed the product longer than that, the substance has already been absorbed - and it's no use making him vomit.
- The cat is conscious and able to swallow. Never force an unconscious, semiconscious, or feline that is having seizures or anything like that to ingest anything.
- The poison not it is an acidic, basic or petroleum-based product.
- You're pretty sure the cat ingested the poison.
Step 4. Know what to do to handle acidic, basic and petroleum-based products
These substances can cause caustic burns. It doesn't matter when the cat ingested them, not induce vomiting as this will only damage the esophagus, throat and mouth when the product returns.
- Strong acids and bases are found in products that fight rust, glass fluids and cleaning products such as bleach. Petroleum-based substances, in turn, include lighter fluids, gasoline and kerosene.
- As stated above, don't force the cat to vomit; instead, encourage him to drink milk with cream or eat a raw egg. If he resists, use a baby syringe to drip up to 100 ml of milk into his mouth. These substances help to dilute and neutralize acid and base.
Step 5. Induce the cat to vomit if the vet recommends it
You will need a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (not use the most concentrated hydrogen peroxide that comes with tinctures) and a teaspoon or a baby syringe. It is easier to administer the water with the syringe. Also, stay tuned for the details below:
- The dose of 3% hydrogen peroxide is 5 ml (1 teaspoon) for every 2 kg of weight. An adult cat weighs on average 4 kg; thus you will need 10 ml (2 tsp). Repeat the application every ten minutes and a maximum of three times.
- To administer the dose, hold the cat carefully and insert the syringe into the cat's mouth, behind the upper fangs. Press the plunger and apply a little of the hydrogen peroxide on the animal's tongue at a time. Then let him swallow - never give everything at once, or he may choke or inhale the substance with his lungs.
Step 6. Use activated charcoal
After the cat vomits, you have to reduce the absorption of the poison that has passed through the intestine. For this, it is good to use activated charcoal. Measure 1 g of powder for every 500 g of pussy weight. On average, an adult cat needs 10 grams.
Dissolve the charcoal in the smallest possible volume of water to form a thick paste. Then transfer it to a syringe and apply in the animal's mouth. Repeat the process once every two to three hours until you complete four doses
Part 3 of 3: Taking care of the cat
Step 1. See if there is any residual contamination on the cat's fur
If that's the case, he could end up swallowing something when he cleans up and worsens the condition. Brush the animal's fur if the poison is a powder. If it's an oil or something sticky, you may have to use a specific cleaning product (the same one mechanics use, for example). Bathe the pussy in warm water for ten minutes to get rid of all the residue and then rinse it off.
If nothing else goes well, you can also cut the part of the hair that is most affected with scissors. Better safe than sorry
Step 2. Make the cat drink water
Many poisons are harmful to the liver, kidneys, or both. To reduce these risks after the pussy has absorbed the product, it has to drink plenty of water - either spontaneously or with a syringe. Drip one milliliter at a time so he can swallow.
An adult cat needs about 250 ml of water a day. Don't be afraid to refill the syringe several times
Step 3. Collect a sample of the supposed poison
Include all packaging and bottles to provide the veterinarian with appropriate information. This can even help other cats who go through the same situation in the future!
Step 4. Take the cat to the vet
The professional will have to examine you to see if he is okay, as well as determine if you have removed all the residue of the poison and if there is no risk of sequelae or something like that.
- The dose of activated charcoal for cases of acute poisoning is 2-8 grams/kg. Administer the product once every 6-8 hours for three to five days. You can mix it with water and use a syringe.
- Pectin: 1-2 g/kg every six hours for five to seven days.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide: 2-4 ml/kg immediately after ingestion of certain poisons.
- Dilute the milk in water in the same proportion or give the cat pure product to fight some of the poisons listed above. Measure 10-15 ml/kg or how much the animal can consume.
- In any case, the best thing to do is to seek professional veterinary care.