Hand reading, also known as palmistry, is practiced all over the world. It has its roots in Indian astrology and Roman fortune telling. The goal is to assess a person's character or future by studying the palm of their hand. Whether you're an aspiring hand reader or just looking for a fun way to pass the time and impress your friends, this article shows you how to gain knowledge just by holding someone's hand.
Part 1 of 2: Deciphering the Lines
Step 1. Choose a hand
According to palmistry, it is believed that:
- For women, the right hand is for the things you were born with and the left is for the things you have accumulated during your life.
- For men, it's the other way around. The left hand is for the things you were born with and the right hand is for the things you have accumulated during your life.
- Your dominant hand (the one you use to write) presents your present/past life, while the other reveals your future life.
There are controversies on the subject. Some say that the left hand shows the potential, that is, what can happen, and not necessarily what will actually happen. And if the hands are different, it means that a change in life is imminent
Step 2. Identify the four main lines
They can come with flaws or be very short, but at least three of them will always be present.
- (1) The heart line.
- (2) The head line.
- (3) The lifeline.
- (4) The line of fate (not everyone has it).
Step 3. Interpret the heart line
It can start at the little finger and go to the index finger or vice versa. It depends on which reading tradition you are following. This line is believed to indicate the person's emotional stability, romantic outlook, depression, and heart health. Below are the basic interpretations:
- Line starts below the index finger: you are satisfied with your love life.
- Line starts below the middle finger: selfish when it comes to love.
- Line starts in the middle: falls in love easily.
- Straight and short line: less interest in romance.
- Heart line touches life line: you are easily disillusioned in love.
- Long, curved line: It's okay to express your feelings and emotions freely.
- Straight line and parallel to the line of the head: knows how to handle emotions well.
- Wavy line: too many relationships and passions, lack of a more serious relationship.
- Circle on the line: sadness or depression.
- Line that presents breaks and failures: emotional trauma.
- Smaller lines crossing the heart line: more emotional trauma.
Step 4. Examine the head line
It represents a person's learning style, communicative approach, intellectualism and thirst for knowledge. A curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity, while a straight line is associated with practicality and methodical approach to life. The basic interpretations are:
- Short line: prefers to develop the physique over the intellect.
- Curved and slanted line: creativity.
- Line separated from the line of life: adventure, enthusiasm for life.
- Wavy line: Can't pay attention to one thing for a long time.
- Long, deep line: clear and focused thinking.
- Straight line: Think realistically.
- Ring or cross on the headline: emotional crisis.
- Line with breaks: inconsistencies in the way of thinking.
- Several crosses across the headline: important decisions.
Step 5. Analyze the lifeline
It starts near the thumb and passes in an arc towards the wrist. It reflects physical health, general well-being and major life changes (eg, devastating events, physical damage and changes). Its length is not associated with life span. The basic interpretations are:
- Line passes close to the thumb: frequent tiredness.
- Curved line: abundant energy.
- Long, deep line: vitality.
- Short and superficial line: it undergoes manipulation by third parties.
- Line curves into a semi-circle: strength and enthusiasm.
- Straight line and close to the end of the palm: cautious when it comes to relationships.
- Several lines of life: extra vitality.
- Lifeline circle: hospital admission or more serious injuries.
- Broken line: sudden change in lifestyle.
Step 6. Study the destination line
It indicates the extent to which someone's life is affected by external circumstances beyond their control. It starts at the base of your palm. The basic interpretations are:
- Deep Line: Strongly controlled by fate.
- Line breaks down and changes direction: prone to many changes in life due to external forces.
- Line starts together with life line: person who wins alone in life; has goals and projects to carry out early in life.
- Line joins the lifeline somewhere along the way: it means a point at which one's interests can be smothered by the interests of others.
- Line starts at the base of the thumb and crosses the lifeline: support offered by family and friends.
Part 2 of 2: Interpreting Hands, Fingers, etc
Step 1. Determine the shape of the hand
Each shape is associated with certain character traits. The length of the palm is measured from the wrist to the base of the fingers. The basic interpretations are:
- Earth Type: Broad, square palms and fingers, thick or rough skin and pink in color; the length of the palm is equal to the length of the fingers
- Solid values and lots of energy can be stubborn at times;
- Practical and responsible, sometimes materialistic;
- They work with their hands, they are comfortable with what is tangible.
- Type Air: Square or rectangular palms with long fingers and sometimes raised knuckles, flat thumbs, and dry skin; the length of the palm is shorter than that of the fingers.
- Sociable, communicative and witty;
- It can be superficial, spiteful and cold;
- Comfortable with mental and intangible things;
- Do things in radical and different ways.
- Water Type: long palm, sometimes oval, with conical and flexible fingers; the length of the palm is equal to that of the fingers, but less than the width of most of the hand.
- Creative, perceptive and understanding;
- They can be moody, emotional and inhibited;
- They do things discreetly and intuitively.
- Fire Type: square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin and short fingers; the length of the palm is longer than that of the fingers.
- Spontaneous, enthusiastic and optimistic;
- Sometimes selfish, impulsive and insensitive;
- They do things courageously and instinctively.
Step 2. Look at the palm heaps
Mounds form below the base of your fingers when you cup your hands. What is the tallest mount in your palm?
- The mount of Venus is under the thumb. It indicates a predisposition to hedonism (living for pleasure), promiscuity, and the need for immediate gratification. A nonexistent lot of Venus indicates little interest in family matters.
- The mount under your index finger is called the Jupiter mount. If he's tall in your palm, it means you're domineering, probably self-centered and aggressive. A low Jupiter lot indicates a lack of self-confidence.
- Saturn's mount is below your middle finger. It indicates stubbornness, cynicism and a tendency to depression. But if it's low, it indicates shallowness and disorganization.
- The Sun mount is below the ring finger. You have a short fuse, you are extravagant and proud if that mound is high in your palm. But if it's short, it means you have little imagination.
- The mount of Mercury is below the little finger. If he's tall, it's because you talk too much. If it's low, it means the opposite -- that you're shy.
None of these interpretations have a scientific basis. And it's a fact that hands change over the years. Don't take these definitions too seriously
Step 3. Examine the size of the hand and fingers
Compared to body size, small hands are active and don't stop to think about what to do. Big hands, on the other hand, belong to contemplative people who take time to act.
- Remember that we are comparing your hands to the size of your body. If you're six feet tall, your hands will be much bigger than most. You must take into account the proportion in relation to your total body size.
- Long fingers can indicate anxiety, in addition to good manners, beauty and delicacy. Already short fingers usually belong to impatient people, with exacerbated sexuality and who have a lot of creativity.
- Elongated nails mean that you are a kind person who knows how to keep a secret. Already short nails indicate that you are a critical and sarcastic person. If your nails are shaped like almonds, you are sweet and diplomatic.
- Accept the fact that hand reading is not always accurate. The fate of your life and your decisions should not be influenced by this; rather, your own effort is what will really help you succeed in life.
- Don't believe everything. You can make your own decisions, no matter what they say.
- Don't judge the person whose palm you are reading!
- Make sure the lighting in the place where you are planning to do the hand reading is adequate, as trying to get a good read in the dark is extremely difficult.
- Find the children's line. Make a fist of your right hand. Look on the outside side, meaning where the little finger is. The number of lines roughly horizontal indicates the number of children you will have (the line at the base of the finger does not count). But in the end, your personal decision, the use of contraceptive methods, and whether or not you find the right person will have a more concrete influence on your family planning.
- Palmistry doesn't always get it right.
- Don't worry about finer, more superficial lines. Just follow the four main lines that go deeper. Focusing on other lines can lead to unwanted confusion. Leave these lines to a professional.
- As the lines on the palms of the hands change over the years, palmistry is seen by many as an opportunity to reveal what has already happened rather than predict the future.
- Note the texture of the skin on your hands, both the front and back. Soft hands signify sensitivity and refinement, while rough hands indicate a rougher temper.
- If you are going to read someone else's hand, take it easy. Don't make any macabre predictions that will make the person worried or terrified; you are as layman as the person whose palm is reading. Nobody is quite sure about palmistry. So don't make predictions that might influence others to harm themselves.
- Remember that hand reading is just fun and there is no substantial evidence that there is a correlation between palm characteristics and psychological traits.