Are you looking for a closer relationship with God? So, it's very important to be grateful for all that He has done in your life. Remember to give thanks in joy and sadness, in pleasure and pain. Gratitude should be constant and not just in good times. Furthermore, it is not enough to internalize it. Express gratitude by honoring the Lord with daily deeds.
Method 1 of 2: Thanking Him Directly
Step 1. Thank God continually throughout the day
The Bible says that we should all keep an open line of communication with the Father at all times and give thanks for all of His works in our lives. This attitude will not only strengthen your relationship with the Most High, but it will also teach you to find reasons to be grateful.
In 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 it is written: "Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give grace, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
Step 2. Whenever you receive a blessing, say a special prayer
In addition to maintaining a spirit of constant gratitude, try to remember to take a moment to thank God for everything that happens in your life. Thank even the smallest things, because, as the Bible says in James 1:17: "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, descending from the Father of lights, in whom there is no change, not even a shadow of change."
- Among the greatest blessings are meeting the love of your life, getting promoted at work, discovering you're going to be a parent, and receiving a significant gift in an unexpected way.
- Here's an example of a prayer of thanks: "Eternal Father, I'm so grateful that you blessed me with a child. I thank you with all my heart. For mercy, protect him from the womb and teach me to be a good mother. Amen."
- If, in the emotion of the moment, you forget to thank the Creator right away, it's okay to pray later when you're calmer. As you practice and learn to be grateful, you will begin to remember more easily to thank Him.
Step 3. Give thanks, however quickly, for the lesser blessings, too
It is, yes, important to give thanks for the great blessings brought by the Father, but we should also pray whenever something less significant reminds us of Him. For example: thank the Creator when you have the opportunity to see a beautiful sunset - even if some trees disturb you a little - and when you are praised by a stranger on a day that was not going well.
- Psalm 7, in verse 17, says, "I will praise the Lord according to his righteousness, and I will sing praises to the name of the Lord Most High."
- For example, whenever you see someone giving charity to others, give thanks immediately: "Thank you, my Father, for showing me people loving one another, just as You loved us."
Step 4. Thank God for His love even when you don't see the blessing
Even if you have difficulty recognizing the Lord's blessings in your life, be grateful for His love. The Bible says in 1 John 4:16 that God IS love. No matter what happens, we can always be grateful for something - like the fact that we were born.
- In verse 29 of Psalm 118 it is written, "Praise the Lord for He is good, and His mercy endureth forever and ever."
- Pray: "Dear God, today is not an easy day, but I know You are taking care of me. Thank You for Your unconditional and unfailing love. Help me lift my spirits. Amen."
- Pray thanking God for His love when things are going well too.
Method 2 of 2: Showing Gratitude Through Work
Step 1. Live according to God's will to honor Him with your whole being
The ultimate way to show gratitude is to give your life to Him. Since we need to turn away from sin and our own will to do so, it's not always easy. However, God gave him life free of charge first of all. Imagine the blessings he can bestow once you've grown closer to him.
Pray and read the Bible every day, repent of your sins, and listen to His voice in every decision you make
Step 2. Do acts of charity as a way of giving thanks
One of the best ways to show gratitude to God is to do what we can to bless others. Help those most in need, discover what your talents are, and employ them in selfless service to others.
- If you have been blessed with material wealth, for example, create an NGO to feed poor children on vacation, when they will not have lunch.
- Has God blessed you with the ability to be a good listener? Do you know how to comfort people in difficult times? Maybe I should pursue a career as a psychotherapist.
Step 3. Try not to be proud of the blessings received
As human beings, we are naturally inclined to believe that our achievements are our credit. However, to live a life of gratitude to the Father, get the idea that the credit is yours out of your head. Remember: God gave everything we have.
- Thus it is written in Luke 14:11: "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."
- In Proverbs 22:4 it is written, "The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life."
Step 4. Tell people about God
Now that you've learned how to be grateful for the blessings bestowed, start sharing God's love with others. When people recognize the blessings on your life, attribute them to God. If they want to know more about it, tell them everything the Father has done for you and try to convert them.
- When someone says, for example, that your house is beautiful, respond, "Thank you! God has blessed me so much and I'm grateful to Him for everything."
- If a person wants to know more about God and faith, invite them to go to church with you so that they too can learn about the Creator's generosity.
Step 5. Praise the Lord
Do you like to sing and know how to play an instrument? Don't bury your talents! Use your gift to show gratitude to God. Write a song (it can be simple) expressing all the gratitude you have to the Creator. If he doesn't know how to play any instrument and doesn't even sing very well, praise him anyway. In Psalms 148, 149, and 150, King David teaches that every creature should praise the Lord. God does not accept people and there is no condition for anyone to worship him.
- The Bible has many passages where worshipers praised God with music.
- Thus says verses 1-3 of Psalm 95: “Come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us sing with joy to the rock of our salvation! Great king above all gods."
- You don't have to be the best musician in the world to honor God with songs! For the Father, it is enough that he do it with all his heart.