Rune reading is a divine connection tool that uses symbol stones to answer questions from the past, present and future. Rune stones can also help to get clarification or advice on how to deal with a certain problem. Start by purchasing the stones and choosing a comfortable, sunny environment. Then read the runes and interpret them to understand what the stones are telling you.
Part 1 of 3: Preparing for Reading
Step 1. Buy a set of rune stones at a spirituality store or on the internet
Stones are usually sold in sets of 24 to 33 units of the same size and shape. They are made of wood or stone and have symbols printed on the surface. The stones can also come with a cloth bag that you can use while reading and to keep them when you're not using them.
- Stone ones are more expensive than wood ones, depending on where you buy them. The material is more about your personal preference, as any one can be read.
- Some sets are made from crystals such as rose quartz or amethyst. You can choose a set of crystals if you have an affinity for a certain type or if you feel that you identify with a crystal.
- Most sets come with an instruction book that includes the meaning of the symbols.
- You can choose a set of 24 to 27 stones to start with, especially if you're reading for the first time. Add more stones to the set as you take more readings.
Step 2. Make your own runestones out of wood, rock or crystal
Purchase pieces of wood of the same size and shape. You can use pebbles or even plain pieces of crystal. Draw the rune symbols on each piece with a marker to create your own collection. This can be a fun project and you can feel a greater connection with your stones.
- You can find a list of the different types of symbols on the website:
- The material you use should be smooth and soft to avoid cutting yourself while reading.
Step 3. Find a calm, sunny spot facing North
Choose an area of your home or garden that is quiet and private. A bright place creates a positive and bright environment for reading. If possible, face North as the position will put you in the direction of the gods of Norse mythology, which can strengthen the power of reading.
Some people prefer to do the rune reading at night, around midnight, as this is known as the witching hour. Choose a time that is most comfortable and calm for you, allowing you to be in a positive state
Step 4. Place a clean white cloth on a table or floor
This will act as the rune reading cloth where you will place the stones. Use one that's big enough to hold several stones, lying flat on the table or floor. A white cloth makes it easier to read the stones and prevents them from getting dirty.
If you want to make a habit of reading the runes, invest in a reading cloth from a spirituality store or on the internet. So, you can only use this cloth for reading the rune stones
Part 2 of 3: Taking the Reading
Step 1. Focus on a question or problem
You can write the question on a piece of paper and put it in front of you to think about it for a moment. Another option is to ask the question out loud or to close your eyes and focus on the problem. Spend a minute or two focusing on the question to transfer this energy to the stones.
- For example, you can choose a broad question like “What will my future look like” or you can ask something specific like “Will I get a promotion next week?”.
- Try to work with one question or problem at a time. You can take multiple readings if you have more than one question you want to deal with.
Step 2. Put the stones in a small bag and shake them
Shake the stones in the bag, focusing on the question or problem at the same time.
Step 3. Mix the stones in the cloth with your hands if you prefer to touch them
Another option is to place the stones on the ground and use your hands to mix them. Leave them face down so you can't see the symbols.
Step 4. Select three stones to take a simple reading
Wait until you feel compelled to pick a stone from the bag or from the pile on the cloth. Then turn one at a time. Place the first runestone on the right, the second in the middle, and the third on the left.
Step 5. Take five stones if you want a more detailed reading
Pick one at a time and turn them over, placing them on the cloth. Place the first stone in the middle, forming a cross around it with the other four.
Place the second stone to the left of the middle stone, and the third one above the center. The fourth should be below the middle stone and the fifth to the right of the central one
Step 6. Spread nine stones on the cloth to make a more random reading
This option is ideal if you want to get a broader sense of your spiritual path and future. Pick nine runestones from the bag or pile, holding each one for a minute or two. Then spread them on the cloth. Notice which stones fall in the center of the cloth and which fall near the edges.
You should also notice which ones fall face up and face down
Part 3 of 3: Interpreting the Reading
Step 1. Examine the order of the runes if you have selected three stones
Look at the first one you placed on the right. It represents your current situation or the question you asked. The second one, in the middle, represents a challenge or problem that you must solve. The third, on the left, means an action or decision you need to take to deal with the challenge.
- Research the rune symbol to better understand the meaning. Look for an online list of runic symbols or read the book that came with the stone set.
- For example, if you're trying to get an answer to the question “Will I get a promotion?”, you might get a first stone that interprets your current situation at work. The second will present a challenge or problem at work that you need to solve to increase your chances of getting a promotion. The third will represent a possible solution to the problem at work.
Step 2. Check the order of the runes if you used five stones
Take a look at the three horizontal stones (the first, second and fifth) to determine your past, present and future. The runestone below the central represents a problem that needs to be solved. The one above the middle stone means a possible solution to the problem.
For example, if you have a problem with your parents at home, you can recognize the details of your past, present, and future experiences with them in the symbols on the horizontal stones. From there, notice that the rune below the central shows a problem you're having at home. Look at the stone above the center for a possible solution to the situation with your parents so you can proceed
Step 3. Analyze the rune in the center to assess your current health if you have scattered the stones
Look at the rock that fell in the middle when you scattered them. Such a rune usually talks about your current situation or where you are at present. Meditate on what the symbol means to you when you think about any question or problem you are currently dealing with.
For example, perhaps you are thinking about how to handle the problem you are having with your partner. The rune symbol in the center can help you better understand the situation
Step 4. View the face-down runes to determine your future
The runestones that fell face down when you scattered them are hidden and related to a period you can't see yet. Turn them over and research the symbols to determine what your future will look like.
- For example, you may find that your future does not predict that you will still be with your current partner due to the symbols represented on the stones.
- When the stones are predicting your future, you may not be 100% sure what they all mean even when researching the symbols. In time, they will make more sense.
Step 5. Analyze the runes on the edges to determine outside influences on your life
Any stones that have been left on the edges when you scatter them represent the people or events that are influencing your actions or thoughts.
- External influence can be a positive force and help you reach a goal or an aspiration. For example, there may be a person who is a positive outside influence who will help you to move beyond your current relationship.
- In some cases, it may be a negative influence that is upsetting you or that you need to resolve to move forward. For example, there may be someone close to you who is making it difficult for you to get over the relationship.