Do you want to become a great midfielder like Xavi? If so, the following tips are for you.
Step 1. Gain experience playing football
A midfield is the most challenging position to master as the game is all around you and it takes time to be good at it.
Step 2. Be in shape.
Have energy. It's important to be a good athlete; therefore, it is essential to be in shape to be a midfielder. It is the most important position on the field. (You don't need to be fast; you don't actually need to be fast in this role).
Step 3. Have good technical skills
Practice your skills: Your ball skills need to be above average or be an example, as you will be the person who will keep the ball most of the time and cannot lose it to the other team.
- You need to know how to control, pass and receive the ball well. (Not just with your feet, but with other parts of your body as well - like your chest and thighs.)
- Know well how to dribble the ball.
Step 4. Be willing and able to pass the ball
If you're not good at passing the ball, don't even try to play in midfield; because that's where the magic happens where the people with the best passing skills are. You need to play in the air and on the ground with short steps, being skilled both in the air and on the ground. It is necessary to be the player who is able to read and analyze the game, identify his teammates' moves and execute the steps.
It's very important to know how to create more opportunities for your team to score. That's why offensive midfield players are called "point guards"
Step 5. Practice your defensive techniques
The midfield doesn't just attack; he is the mechanism that keeps the team working on offense and defense.
Step 6. Pay attention to the ball and scoring opportunities
Always pay attention to people close to you and move around when you don't have the ball.
- Get a good view of the game. This way you can successfully move the ball around the field and also create scoring opportunities. A midfield has control of the game. This means passing the ball and being aware of every move.
- Score when possible. It's not a midfield's job to score; however, it is always a bonus.
- The first touch with the ball is very important. Always direct the first touch far away from the other team.
- Another job of a midfielder is, before receiving the ball, to know what to do with it and never be afraid to catch it.
- Always have a positive perspective on the game.
- Work hard. Never think you are perfect.
- Keep practicing basic functions.
- Try to involve the whole team.
- Keep a good balance between offense and defense.
- If you want to become as good as one of the professional players, you need to make a commitment to football.
- It is necessary to know how to maneuver the ball between opponents.
- Another job of a midfielder is to know where you are on the field and be aware of what is happening around you.
- Always look for the ball.
- Football players need to have a good team spirit.
- Remember: soccer is a physical contact sport and you need to be willing to attack to win the ball.
- Practice the maneuvers with both feet. It is important that you know how to control, pass and transfer the ball to the other side of the field with both feet.
- Try not to get hurt. A football injury would not be good at this point.
- Don't try too hard. If your body asks you to stop, stop.